1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law Services
  4.  » Post-Judgment Disputes & Modifications

Help With Post-Judgment Disputes And Modifications

If you need help modifying part of your divorce decree, talk to the lawyers at Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC. Our family law/modification post-judgment lawyers handle post-judgment modifications and can help you change or enforce a judge’s order in Milwaukee or the surrounding area.

We are a passionate team of problem-solvers, who are dedicated to helping our clients achieve favorable resolutions to their family law matters efficiently. We are known for our genuine concern for our clients and our ability to resolve complex issues when it matters most. If you need help with a post-judgment dispute or modification, our caring and experienced attorneys can help.

When Can A Divorce Decree Be Changed?

Divorce decrees are considered permanent and certain things cannot be changed without petitioning the court to reopen the case. For example, you cannot amend a divorce decree to revisit property division, except in extreme circumstances such as fraud or failure to disclose assets. If you waived the right to collect spousal support in your initial divorce decree, this is also a permanent decision and you cannot revisit this issue at a later date.

Other parts of your divorce decree can be modified. Changes can be made to the amount of spousal support, child support, custody and placement if there is a substantial change in circumstances. Placement (visitation) arrangements remain in effect unless one party seeks a modification. If a placement arrangement is outdated, changed over time or violated, a parent might need to ask the court to grant a modification or to enforce the court order.

What Changes Will Support A Motion To Modify?

The court will entertain a motion to modify an order if, after a required period of time, there has been a substantial change in your life or the life of the other party that justifies altering the decree. Any of the following may qualify as a significant change:

  • A change in income — A substantial change in either spouse’s income can impact their ability to pay child or spousal support.
  • Behavior changes — Changes in the children’s behavior or grades.
  • Moving — A move to a new city or state, which renders the current schedule unworkable.
  • Chemical dependency — A parent with substance abuse problems not only faces their own health risks but could also jeopardize the safety and well-being of a child.
  • Criminal activity — Custody and placement may be revisited if a parent is engaging in criminal activity.

If one party asks for a modification and the other party doesn’t agree, this dispute can be resolved through negotiation, mediation or through the courts.

Get answers to commonly asked questions about post-judgment modifications here.

At Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC, we always try to minimize conflict and are local leaders in using cooperative techniques to resolve disputes. However, we can also aggressively represent you in court whenever necessary.

What Should I Do When The Other Party Is Violating The Orders?

If one party fails to pay child or spousal support or refuses to honor the custody and placement (visitation) order, the law provides a remedy. If the violation involves child or spousal support, the court can garnish wages or force the violator to pay. The court also has broad discretion to come up with other, more creative solutions to force the violator to comply with the terms of the decree. A party can be held in contempt of court for failing to follow the court’s orders.

At Nelson, Krueger & Millenbach, LLC, we handle modifications, disputes and enforcement cases with compassion and diligence. Our lawyers are prompt, detail-oriented and persistent. For a free initial consultation, contact us at 414-939-0529.

We accept all major credit cards.